- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be able to pass a polygraph test, department interview and drug screen
- Applicants must be 18 years of age, having not reached their 36th birthday to take the test and be hired.
- Submit your personal information form and supporting documentation including copy of military service discharge papers (if applicable), and copy of current Texas driver's license to the City of Lufkin’s Human Resource Department.
- Applicants who meet the requirements listed above will be allowed to take the Civil Service Entrance Examination for entry-level firefighter.
- Successful applicants will be subject to physical agility testing, background investigation, interview board and polygraph testing.
- Upon satisfactory completion of the above, the applicant will be made a conditional offer of employment pending the results of:
- Physical exam
- Test for the use of illicit drugs or alcohol
Lufkin Firefighters participate in the Lufkin Firemen’s Relief and Retirement Fund. This plan is required for all Civil Service Firefighters.
- Employee contributes 14.2% of gross earnings, which is tax deferred
- City of Lufkin contributes 23% of gross earnings
- A firefighter can retire at age 55 with at least 20 years of credited service
- The Plan is governed by the Texas Local Fire Fighters Retirement Act (TLFFRA)