City of Lufkin Employee Benefits
If you have any questions about Employee Benefits, please contact the Human Resources department at 936-633-0228.
Eligibility for health insurance benefits begins on the first of the month after date of hire. This includes medical, dental, and vision coverage for all eligible employees and their eligible dependents. This benefit is available to full-time employees.
Full-time employees immediately begin earning vacation time at the rate of 80 hours per year. Vacation time can be used after 6 months of full-time, continuous employment. Vacation accruals increase with tenure and can accumulate up to 170 hours with the exception of civil service.
Full-time employees receive fourteen (14) paid national holidays per year, plus your birthday.
Full-time employees immediately begin earning sick time at the rate of 120 hours per year. Sick time can be used after 3 months of full-time, continuous employment. Employees can accumulate up to 720 hours of paid sick leave.
All employees who work over 1,000 hours per year are members in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS). Employees contribute 7% of gross income (pre-tax) and the City matches the contributions at a rate of 2 to 1. Employees become vested with the City after five years of service. Employees are eligible to retire at any age with 20 years of service, OR at the age 60 with five or more years of service.
The City of Lufkin contributes to the Firemen's Relief and Retirement Program in the same percentages as it does the TMRS program. The vesting periods for the Firemen's Pension and the benefits available under this plan are defined by the plan under which a fireman retires. Firefighters must contribute a required percentage of their salary, as determined by the Firemen's Pension, through payroll deduction.
The City pays employees who have completed one year of continuous service longevity pay of $10.00 per month for each year of City of Lufkin service until the number of consecutive years of full-time employment equals twenty (20), at which time the additional pay is capped.
A full-time employee who experiences the death of an immediate family member may be given bereavement leave of up to three (3) working days, with pay, per occurrence to be taken at the time of death.
The City of Lufkin recognizes that the skills and knowledge of its employees are critical to the success of the organization. This program encourages personal development through formal education so employees can maintain and improve their skills. Employees may be eligible for up to $500.00 per semester or $1000.00 in any twelve-month period.
Health Club Incentive
The City of Lufkin wishes to promote health and wellness for our employees. The City will provide supplemental regular pay of up to $20.00 per month for each employee who provides proof of membership (and monthly cost) in a gym, fitness center or health club. Employees must notify Human Resources immediately if their gym membership is terminated.
Employee Health Clinic- MYMD SELECT (No cost to employee)
If you are enrolled in our health plan, you will have access to this benefit, which will provide a form of concierge medicine that enables 24/7 access to a full range of comprehensive primary services to covered employees and dependents.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP - No cost to employee)
The City provides a confidential free resource to help employees deal with life's stress and work. The EAP can help with issues including: family issues, communication skills, parenting skills, stressor time management, legal and financial issues or grief counseling.
Five confidential face-to-face sessions
Enrolled employees and their household family members are eligible for up to five confidential sessions with a counselor, financial planner or lawyer each calendar year.
- Consultations may be face-to-face or by phone.
- Sessions are per household and may be divided between the three types of professionals.
- Counselors provide an assessment of concerns and refer participants to appropriate resources and providers.
- Financial and legal professionals assist with matters such as tax-filing questions, debt issues, guardianship and power of attorney.
- An additional five sessions are available in the event of a covered disability claim.
EAP also includes will preparation services via the Featured Programs section of www.guidanceresources.com.
Health Care Navigation (No cost to employee)
Employees generally find themselves on their own when it comes to understanding their medical plan. They’re eager to find resources that can reassure them they are making the best decisions.
Administrative support for employees on a covered disability leave
- Easy-to-understand explanation of benefits—help identifying what’s covered and what’s not
- Step-by-step guidance on medical claims and billing issues
- Cost estimation for covered and/or non-covered treatment options
- Fee and payment plan negotiation
- Referral to financial resources for the underinsured and uninsured
- Explanation of the appeals process
- One-on-one reviews of employee health concerns
- Straightforward, easy-to-understand answers regarding specific diagnosis and treatment options
- Support and preparation for upcoming doctors’ visits, lab work, tests and surgeries
- Coordination with appropriate health care plan provider(s)
- Referral to community resources and applicable support groups
Travel Assistance Program (No cost to employee)
Available 24 hours a day to help protect you from the unpredictable, whenever you travel 100 miles or more from home for less than 90 consecutive days. Available to employees, their spouses, and dependent children under the age of 26 when they are traveling with the employee.
- Help finding physicians, dentists and medical facilities
- Medical monitoring to determine if care is appropriate
- Transportation to a hospital/treatment facility or return home for treatment when medically necessary
- Arrangement for a dependent child’s or spouse’s return home when traveling with the insured and when necessary
- Replacement of medication and eyeglasses
- Emergency message relay to and from friends, relatives and business associates
- Emergency cash
- Assistance locating lost or stolen items
- Legal assistance/bail
- Interpretation/translation service
Identity Theft Protection Program (No Cost to employee)
Identity theft is a rising concern. The Identity Theft Protection Program provides employees with information to protect themselves and step-by-step coaching to help identify and resolve identity theft.
- Lost wallet assistance
- Credit information review
- Three-bureau fraud alert placement assistance
- ID theft affidavit assistance
- Translation services while traveling
- Emergency cash advance while traveling (a repayment guarantee is needed)
Beneficiary Companion Program (No Cost to employee)
The Beneficiary Companion Program is there to help with paperwork and other time-consuming details, providing relief from the confusion and frustration of managing a loved one’s final affairs.
- Guidance on how to obtain death certificate copies for final notifications
- Dedicated Beneficiary Assistance Coordinators to manage notifications and close loved one’s accounts, including:
- Social Security Administration
- Credit reporting agencies
- Credit card companies/financial institutions
- Third-party vendors
- Government agencies
- Assistance protecting the loved one’s identity and full resolution services if the deceased’s identity is stolen
Life Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment (No cost to employee)
The City provides full-time employees, life insurance with a value of 1X employee's annual salary. City also provides Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D) with a value of 1X employee's annual salary.
Long-Term Disability (LTD) (No cost to employee)
After a period of 90 days of disability, you may be eligible for LTD benefits which can provide you up to 60% of your base pay, up to a maximum of $5,000 per month. This benefit applies to full-time employees.