Driver’s Safety Course Request Form & Affidavit
Course Eligibility & Requirements
Any person under the age of 25 shall be required to complete a driver's safety course pursuant to Art. 45.051 (b -1) of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.
The request to take a safety course must be made prior to the expiration of the 12 day period allowed to appear on your citation. The request must be made in person or in writing. Payment of the State costs and administrative fees should be submitted with your request. Defendants issued citations for seatbelt violations or while operating a motorcycle must also complete the written request for a driving safety course.
DO NOT TAKE THE DRIVER’S SAFETY COURSE UNITL IT IS GRANTED BY THE COURT. Your certificate will not be accepted if you begin the course before the Court grants your request.
You are eligible to request this course if you:
- Have a valid Texas Driver's License;
- Have not requested and taken a driving safety course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months (The court will go by the date recorded on your driving record).
- Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation.
- Have not committed the offense of speeding 25 mph over the speed limit.
- Are not a Commercial Driver's License Holder.
- Have not committed one of the following:
- Failure to Give Information at Accident Scene;
- Leaving the Scene of Accident;
- Fleeing or Attempting to Elude Police Officer;
- Passing a School Bus;
- Any violation while operating a commercial motor vehicle;
- Any offense committed in a construction maintenance zone when workers are present.
At the time of the request, you must do the following:
- Present proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance) valid on the day of your request;
- Present your Texas driver's license valid the day of your request;
- Pay court costs of $144.00 for regular zone offenses or $167.00 for offenses occurring within a school zone. Payment can be made by money order through the mail; cash or Visa/MasterCard are accepted in our office (the card must be in the defendants name along with photo identification);
- Plead guilty or nolo contendere. Fill out the Drivers Safety Course Request Form/Affidavit. You must file these documents with the Court.
- You must obtain a copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety. An application to obtain your record will be provided to you by the Court clerks after your request for a safety course is granted.
You will have ninety (90) days from the date your request is granted, to complete the course. After successful completion of the safety course and timely submission of the required documents, the Court will dismiss the case and report to the Texas Department of Public Safety for inclusion on your driving record.
Furthermore, if you fail to provide the Court with your certificate and/or driving record, within that period, you will be summoned to Court to "show cause" as to why your certificate and/or driving record was not returned. If you do not appear for the hearing it may result in the issuance of an additional charge for Failure to Appear and warrants for your arrest.
If you have any questions, please contact the Municipal Court at 936-633-0315. Se habla Español. Llame o pase a nuestra oficinia.